Document: draft-camwinget-tls-use-cases-05.txt

I have some technical comments on the current draft.

S 2.2.1.
   Note that even _if_ the SNI is provided by the client, there is no
   guarantee that the actual server responding is the one indicated in
   the SNI from the client.  SNI alone, without comparison of the server
   certificate, does not provide reliable information about the server
   that the client attempts to reach.  Where a client has been
   compromised by malware and connects to a command and control server,
   but presents an innocuous SNI to bypass protective filters, it is
   undetectable under TLS 1.3.

This actually applies to TLS 1.2 as well, because nothing requires
that a nonconformant client use the key supplied in the server certificate
(for instance, it might just just encrypt with a fixed key or tunnel
a key exchange in the TLS handshake somehow). This cannot be detected
by a passive observer.

S 2.2.2.
I don't understand the point of this section. TLS 1.3 resumption PSK
and TLS 1.2 resumption (with tickets, for instance) are largely
isomorphic. In both cases, the client can decline resumption, but that
is true in 1.2 as well (though there's no formal way to do it in 1.2).
As a practical matter, there's no real chance that a standard client
will not let you fall back to a full handshake.

In earlier versions of this document, it didn't recognize this point
and so this section (while misleading) made some sense, but at this
point I would just remove it.

S 2.2.3.
I don't get what this section is trying to say. Previous TLS versions
included anti-downgrade mechanisms, so you could never silently
downgrade versions. The TLS 1.3 anti-downgrade mechanisms are
designed to be stronger than TLS 1.2, but they don't fundamentally
change this situation.

S 2.2.4.
Yes, ESNI causes you problems, but if you are a selective MITM proxy,
you should just disable ESNI on clients using the same mechanisms
that you use to add your own trust anchor.

-Ekr