On Mon, 7 May 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> * Dependence on Java2 as a base platform.  This is not just an issue
>   of using the collections classes (although that's part of it).  Consider
>   a few other issues:

Once again - there is no problem with using Java2 for tomcat modules in
3.x.

Tomcat3.x already has java2 modules - and it allways had. The security
manager, setting the thread class loader, etc - all those are Java2
features, and we allways had them.

The only requirement is not having java2 in the core, and providing a
functional servlet container that works on Java1.1. That's done, and
there's no plan to change the existing modules (except fixing bugs), so
the goal of supporting 1.1 in 3.x shouldn't be a concern for anyone
writing new modules.

Costin
P.S: my latest "hobby" is J2ME - and if I'll be able to get this voted I
would like to do some changes to make sure tomcat3.x works fine on j2me -
there are few changes and few additional restrictions. If not - it'll be a
private patch to tomcat. (Check ibutton.com and tini, it's cool.)
But again, that doesn't affect in any way existing modules - just the
core, and an additional set of modules that will be "specialized" for the
device.