I'm sure someone will jump on this from a great height if I'm wrong, but I
seem to recall that the cache settings are for intermediate caches - not the
browser.  The browser can cache pages as it sees fit - provided that it
checks to see if they've been updated, but the cache control settings are
there to stop intermediate caches from falsely reporting a page as not
having changed.

Duncan.

This message contains information which may be privileged
and confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you are not
the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use, disseminate,
distribute or copy this message. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail, facsimile, or telephone and return or destroy the
original message. Sopheon and its officers are not responsible
for any statements or material in this e-mail and in any attachment
to it which might give rise to any criminal or civil claim.