To verify Duncans point:
Cache-Control on the request is for proxies.
Cache-Control on the response is for proxies+browser.
(as stated by 'Core Servlets and JSPs by Marty Hall, published by Sun).

You could try Cache-Control 'no-store', or 'must-revalidate'.. to see if IE
handles them differently.

Also, just to check, you are setting the response to HTTP/1.1? Pragma was
never consistent between browsers, and Cache-Control will only be used if
the response specifies HTTP/1.1.

- Chris.