Sorry - can't answer that one for sure.  Does look a bit strange.

I could only guess that it might be to do with classloading?  I seem to
remember that a class "abc.def.MyClass" loaded by classloader "A" is deemed
to be different to the same class "abc.def.MyClass" loaded by classloader
"B", so I would guess that this might lead to casting problems.  I haven't
used JNDI much apart from in the context of DBCP, so I'm not sure exactly
how it works - could it maybe be using a different classloader to the one

Then again that could be complete rubbish :)