I've just noticed another (more elegant) solution from another post, and
will be changing my code to use it.  As long as your database driver
supports it, try using statement.getGeneratedKeys()

I got this example from
http://www.datadirect.com/products/jdbc/docs/jdbc30feats/index.ssp
Int rowcount = stmt.executeUpdate (
"insert into LocalGeniusList (name) values ('Karen'),
"employeeID");
ResultSet rs = stmt.getGeneratedKeys (); // Karen's employeeID value is now
available