From: Malcolm Green [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: February 25, 2003 5:36 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Connection Pooling

I have DBCP connection pooling working as follows using Tomcat 4.1.12:

Under the <Context> element for your application (this can either be in the
server.xml file or a separate xml file in the webapps dir)  I have the
following config:

              <Resource name="jdbc/XXXX" scope="Shareable"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

              <ResourceParams name="jdbc/XXXX">
                <parameter>
                        <name>factory</name>

                      </parameter>

                      <parameter>
                                <name>maxActive</name>
                                <value>100</value>
                        </parameter>

                      <parameter>
                                <name>maxIdle</name>
                                <value>30000</value>
                        </parameter>

                      <parameter>
                                <name>maxWait</name>
                                <value>100</value>
                        </parameter>

                      <parameter>
                                <name>username</name>
                                <value>theUser</value>
                        </parameter>

                      <parameter>
                                <name>password</name>
                                <value>thePassword</value>
                        </parameter>

                     <parameter>
                              <name>driverClassName</name>

<value>com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver</value>
                     </parameter>

                    <parameter>
                      <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://hostname:port;databasename=myDB</value>
                    </parameter>

                    <parameter>
                      <name>validationQuery</name>
                      <value>select getdate()</value>
                    </parameter>

          </ResourceParams>

This is an MS SQL Server config, but to change the db just make sure that
the requried JDBC jar file is in the common/lib directory and then change
the necessary elements above e.g. driverClassName etc.

In my web.xml for my app I have the following:

  <resource-ref>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/XXXX</res-ref-name>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

To use the pool I have the following code in a servlet:  (I have left out
the try/catch block etc.)

  Context ctx = new InitialContext();
  DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/XXXX");
  conn = ds.getConnection();

Hope this helps.

Malcolm