Ali Bahrami wrote:

<snip>

   I had almost finished typing a reply very much like the above.
elfdump encapsulates a lot of ELF knowledge, and might be harder
to replace than it seems on the surface.

I'd like to know how long wsdiff takes to run, and how much of

It's hard to tell in general. For example, on a beefy x2250 running build 142 with 32GB RAM and 8 3GHz CPUs but with somewhat slowish I/O (ZFS mirror on 2 internal disks) with the old wsdiff comparing non-DEBUG proto areas from onnv_143 and onnv_144 takes 19:10 minutes. The new version brings that down to 4:20 minutes with the default threading setting (which should be optimal). The system was otherwise quiet during the runs, warm-up run was performed before both tests, etc.

that is attributable to elfdump overhead. Is the new parallelized

have not done any measurements in that area.

wsdiff still a big bottleneck in the build process?

In general, not at all anymore.

If we are talking about making wsdiff even faster then I suspect (more of a gut feel than anything else) that in terms of performance slowdown elfdump's share is fairly small.

v.