Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I think it really makes sense to define the names of a set of available
> functions. That would really make much simpler the development of
> portable tools, or working on different languages, without having to
> relearn the framework used.
> That said, each of us would probably push for their own API to be
> standarised.

I think you found the problem :-).  Should "normalizeLink"
be a method of "WikiFarm", "Wiki" or "WikiPage"?  Should a
page title be a string or a "WikiTitle"?  If the latter and
in a true OOP language, should it be a derived class of
"string" or "WikiString" which would be then derived from
"string"?  And so on, and so forth.

> I don't think providing tests is the panacea for making people implement
> them. They are obviously nice, but as it would be open source, each user
> doesn't need to reimplement them according to the specification. The
> same code could be shared.
> The problem is in adoption of the API, and agreeing on an "standarised" one.

Having recently ported a parser skeleton from Java to PHP, I
disagree wholeheartedly :-).  There are many subtle differ-
ences between languages which programmers usually aren't
even aware of because they take them for granted.  Take re-
gular expressions and their various flavours for example.
Test cases ensure reproducable results and give the develop-
ers the confidence that their enhancement/optimization will
not burn down the house.

  So I'm looking forward to Madman publishing his framework.

Tim