On 03/18/2012 10:50 PM, [[w:en:User:Madman]] wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Sumana Harihareswara
> <suma...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> You know what I'm about to say. :-)  Come on, come on, just show us the
>> code, as unbearable as you may find that.  Release early, release often,
>> let us get our paws on it and help you.  :-)
>>
>> If for whatever reason you'd rather not have it on Toolserver, you can
>> get a Git repository hosted with Wikimedia
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/New_repositories and share it there.
>
> Haha, no worries. As it happens, I've made enough progress that I
> anticipate releasing documentation and examples by the end of tomorrow
> (today?) and the base code by the end of the next day. I don't mean to
> be a tease, so to speak. :P Unfortunately, my OCD makes me apply
> absurdly arbitrary and exacting standards to any code when it has my
> name on it. This also makes it difficult for me to use source control
> (though I *do*, as it's absolutely essential to development) as I
> don't like keeping around code that didn't work or code that's no
> longer needed; it doesn't seem "organized" to me.
>
> I'm not familiar with Git, but I'll look into it; as the framework has
> a dependency on MediaWiki, it'll probably be best to use what
> MediaWiki's going to use, especially if I can define it as an external
> repository. That way I wouldn't have to keep metadata around that
> might not be able to be checked in, write a checkout script, or have
> the possibility of having an old version of MediaWiki distributed with
> the framework.
>
> Thanks!
> -Madman

Thanks, Madman!  I am sure many people are looking forward to your
code's debut.  And as for Git, people rave about its flexibility (which
does unfortunately come with a learning curve) --
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git links to our blog post, and
https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Access#Access_FAQ will help
you get an account.  (We're managing Git/Gerrit access via unified
logins with Labsconsole on Wikimedia Labs.)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator