On 2017-12-08 13:24, niftybunny wrote:

>> On 8. Dec 2017, at 10:23, Alexander Dietrich <[email protected]> wrote: 
>> 
>> I have no experience with Hetzner, but no ISP in Germany (or elsewhere) has 
>> ever asked me for a copy of my passport. I'd rather spend my money 
>> elsewhere. 
>> 
>> (For German readers: it's illegal to create photocopies of the latest 
>> generation of ID cards, except for government agencies, banks and such, 
>> AFAIK.
> 
> No its is not and its normal with banks, ISPs,  web hosting etc  
> 
> proof: 
> https://www.datenschutzbeauftragter-info.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Personalausweis-kopieren-Stellungnahme-BMI.pdf
>  
> 
> Look it up and stop starting rumours ... 
> 
> Markus

That document basically says "copies are fine, as long as you comply
with this list of bullet points that no IT-based process can (or will)
follow". :) It even addresses in-person verification and recommends a
"look but don't touch" approach. 

But back to the topic of ISPs asking for your papers: caving in to such
ridiculous demands sets a bad precedent and I would still recommend to
take your business somewhere else. 

Kind regards,
Alexander
_______________________________________________
tor-relays mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-relays

Reply via email to