PasTim wrote:
> I suggest you try optical or coax to the NAD first and see if you get
> any problems with drop-outs.  If you do, it's likely the problem is
> elsewhere.
>
> It seems USB can be harder to get working perfectly, and there are a
> number of options for downloading different software.  Whether it's
> better I can't say.

I will give it a try with other outputs as you suggest.  Thanks.

But in theory am I thinking right?  They call these dacs "asynchronous
USB" for a reason right?  They have incorporated unique "clocking"
technology at the USB interface that does a great job of handling
jitter.  These dacs that have other inputs must be handling jitter
differently at those inputs, but beyond that I don't know what that
means.  I guess it could vary tremendously from dac to dac and may be
greatly affected by the output source, connections, yadda yadda......is
that right?  If those assumptions are correct, then that's what's
driving me to get the USB to work.

Gosh, I have lots more questions, but I'll just take them one at a time.
I hope my lack of knowledge isn't too frustrating.  But I guess that's
part of what this place is for.