Quoting roger.oberholt...@gmail.com:
We are looking at using email2trac to allow users to add and modify tickets. I
am curious what experience people have had with this. Not so much how
email2trac works, but how you have managed getting users to format messages
correctly.

No guidelines, just some experiences here.

We used to use email2trac and probably will use it again in the
company for dealing with end customers with limited technical
experience. It works very well, but has some room for improvement,
too:

 1. Users tend to forget the ticket number in the subject or they
    even remove it. This leads to creation of duplicates. There is
    no easy merging of tickets in Trac, so this means work :~(

    Possible improvements: email2trac should work on base of
    message-ids in the e-mail header instead of parsing the subject
    like OpenERP. Or one could have one email address per ticket,
    like in Debian (e.g. 123...@bugs.myserver.com).

 2. Some users accidently use old/wrong ticket numbers in the subject.
    Tickets become a mess this way. This did happen only once or twice.

 3. There is no reply possible from within Trac. This is something
    OpenERP does very nicely. One can handle the ticket completely in
    the web application, while in Trac you have to go back to your MUA.

 4. Spam was an issue for us, but we probably did not investigate
    enough what to do about it.

HTH, Cheers