Dwayne Bailey wrote:

> I think we're making this way too complicated for an issue that I think
> can be got around by the user themselves.  If they want to work in
> secret, register on Pootle as a secret user.

If we're going to make assumptions about what users want, we should make
those assumptions based on similar situations that a user might find
himself in.  I can't think of any system where registration is required,
in which the registration details (especially the mail address) is
shared willy-nilly with everyone else (except perhaps mailing lists).
The usual expectation of a user would therefore be that his details are
safe.  I don't mind if Pootle works differently, but the user must know.

And leaving it up to the user is actually what this suggestion will do
-- it would be entirely up to the user to decide how and if he wants to
be identified.  The Pootle server needn't determine what kind of user
the user is.  All users have the same options.

> I'm in favour of munging email addresses for people who fear spam.  And
> I think we can simply do that automatically without making many
> confusing options.

Munging only fools automated bots... it doesn't stop spam.  I should
know, because I have harvested e-mail addresses from PO files myself and
I know how easy it is to build a highly targeted spam address list,
munging or no munging.

My original idea was quite complex, but my latest comment has much
simplified it.  Pootle doesn't have to do anything with the information
yet, as long as it stores it.  The idea is that the private and public
display names are written to a text file (along with the user's name
and/or username), where a server admin or project manager can access it.

Samuel

--
Samuel Murray
[EMAIL PROTECTED]