On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 16:57 +0200, Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) wrote:
> F Wolff wrote:
>
> > I think each deployment should write its own policy, and we shouldn't
> > pretend to be able to say anything about servers in general, because we
> > can't. We could encourage administrators to include a privacy notice, in
> > the same way we encourage them to put in contact details to the
> > administrators.
>
> We can expect Pootle administrators to be experts in server
> administration and similar technical issues, but we can't expect them to
> know the issues surrounding privacy issues, copyright issues etc.
>
> Therefore I think Pootle should be distributed in such a way that Pootle
> admins can focus on what  they do best, and safely assume that the rest
> has been taken care of.
>
> Few if any Pootle admins will think of writing a privacy policy, and by
> the time they realise they need one, it'll be mostly too late to
> implement one.  If we can provide a generic privacy, it protects our
> customers.

I think we should include a default one, but I'd rather see people
actively take step to add their own or review the default.  So I think
similar to what the default setup does we simply prepend text that says:

"This is the default privacy policy distributed with Pootle.  Please
update this to reflect the policy of your organisation, write your own
or review the default and remove this text to make it your privacy
policy"

Or something like that.

--
Dwayne Bailey
Associate                                      +27 12 460 1095 (w)

Recent blog posts:
* The birth of the GNU generation
http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/dwayne/en/content/birth-gnu-generation
* Firefox users experience discrimination
* RPM packages for py lib 0.9.2