Neither I'm a lawyer, so we're even. :)

The requirement for complete corresponding source files isn't in the
license per see, even if the license is indeed GNU GPL 3+ (let's
assume), --- because as you said, there is possibility of the
interpretation you just made ---, but the requirement I spoke of is in
the Definition of Free Cultural Works, in
[[http://freedomdefined.org/Definition]], which is what defines "free
culture".

About sound recordings: I'd say that the music composition being
recorded has complete and corresponding source which is the
score. However, in music improvisation, since it has no score, then the
recording itself is the source.

For other points raised by you but not answered in this message, see the
Definition of Free Cultural Works in the reference I just presented.