Thank you for your help- I'll try contacting the individuals you mentioned. My point of curiosity was in regard to whether or not it /is/ free hardware currently. At least knowing that it's not is a good start.

As I've said above, though, I don't wish to take sides (beyond what's objectively established). Like you pointed out, this *could* serve as a base for free hardware development- the more important thing is that we've now got a standard for combining computers with peripheral shells. With that, the cost of liberation should drop (because you don't have to replace the whole thing).