[heyjoe]
> Option 2: stay with whatever you use, communicate using end-to-end encryption (if your recipients know how). Then it doesn't matter much who the carrier is. The caveat still remains.

I think the same. Regardless of which SAAS service is used, backbone routers and fiber-optics are still owned. So it does't matter at all whether you use a PRISMed server or a home brewed server, unless you *encrypt* your communications.

As for the caveat, if a correspondent doesn't use encryption, then there's nothing that can be done. Again it doesn't matter if you've secured yourself or not. So my suggestion would be using any mail service pragmatically convenient, and then using encryption whenever possible.

[SuperTramp83]
> Why is email dangerous?

I believe J Assange doesn't trust in encryption as well. He may have a reason for that.