Blainer wrote:
> But you just did, above--there WAS that dress as
> evidence for Clinton's sinful behavior, but NO
> EVIDENCE for JS!  To draw a parallel between
> the two makes no sense.  You are just trying to link
> the two together on an emotive level.

No, not on an emotive level.  I think there is a logical parallel between
them.  With regrad to the dress thing, the main thing I had in mind in
relation to Joseph Smith is our past discussion about the Book of Abraham,
and how the discovery of the papyri that he translated from turned out not
to say what Joseph Smith claimed it said.  That evidence is every bit as
damning as Monica's dress.  Sure, people can still wiggle around and
redefine terms.  Hey, Bill Clinton today denies that he had sex with Monica
Lewinsky.  What did he say?  She had sex with him but he did not have sex
with her?  What else did he say?  It depends on what the meaning of the word
is is?

Blainer wrote:
> You essentially pass on conjecture and misnomers
> you get from anti-Mormon sites and anti-Mormon writings.

You are very wrong.  My primary readings have been Mormon sources.  I have
only recently began looking at anti-Mormon literature, and then only
lightly.  I don't like reading things where men have some emotional axe to
grind.  A lot of anti-Mormon literature I find very uninteresting because
there is so much spin, but some anti-Mormon literature is very good, raising
interesting questions that should be answered.

Blainer wrote:
> Alex Campbell's essay on the BoM was a prime
> example.   As I recall, we discussed his writings
> extensively.  You had to reach for straws to defend
> him.

You have got to be kidding.  I presented his essay primarily because he was
a contemporary of Joseph Smith.  It was Campbell's disciples who formed the
first congregation for Joseph Smith.  I have no interest in defending
Campbell.  He does a fine job without me.  I have no background in any of
the denominations that descend from Campbell, just as I have no background
in the Mormon denominations that descended from Joseph Smith.

You say I was reaching for straws to defend Campbell?  I have no idea what
you mean.  You noted a mistake he made and I agreed with you, and explained
how it came about.  Just because I excused his mistake as being irrelevant
to many of his other points does not mean I was grasping at straws to defend
him.  You are more than welcome to take Campbell to task like I do Joseph
Smith.  That is why I present the information to you.  From my perpsective,
you did a lame job of it by focusing on a generational mistake he made, and
ignoring the more important point of how God would not violate his Holy
Scriptures and raise up a priesthood from a group not of the tribe of Levi
at that time when it supposedly took place.

Blainer wrote:
> Joseph Smith was a man among men.  He was a better
> man than anyone I know or have known--a true gentleman.

I know that you like to think of him this way, and from some of your
language and subjects in the past, I suspect you are somewhat like him in
your religion.  The problem for me is that it is not what I consider holy.
A man who drinks, cusses, enjoys a smoke, and regularly wrestles and brawls
with people, well, that is not my idea of a man of God.  Especially when you
add the con man kind of activity, from the looking for buried treasure, to
the shady banks which lost people their money, to his polygamy, well, it
just does not sound like a holy man.  The way he died, trying to save his
life, and taking the lives of others, rather than giving his life as a
sacrifice and testimony to the Lord, that is just not my role model of a man
of God.

Blainer wrote:
> I wish he lived nowadays, I would seek his friendship.
> You never mention some little known facts about him.
> For instance, there were few if any men who could
> whip him in a fair fight.  It took a mob to get the best
> of him.  A mob of lesser men.

I did not realize that you were attracted to this.  I would have mentioned
it as something undesireable, but I didn't want to sound like I was
nit-picking.  Yes, I understand that he bragged about his ability to take on
anyone, and that he regularly looked for men who would wrestle with him.

Blainer wrote:
> The "military unit" that killed him  and his brother were
> a gang of blood-thirsty murderers.  The men who attacked
> and murdered the Mormons at Haun's Mill were of like ilk.
> They murdered children and women, as well as men.  They
> dumped their bodies down a well, then used the well
> walls to sit on and defacate into the well.  Real gentelmen,
> noble types all, huh?

Despicable, but so were some of the Mormon attacks too.  I do not relish
history of this sort in that it shows the baser aspect of humanity.  I have
not raised this issue because there was guilt on both sides, to be sure.

Blainer wrote:
> Do you support hate-crimes?

I object to the term "hate-crime" because it is a modern term meant to be
used to silence the preaching of the gospel.  Murder is a hate crime, but
our laws should restrict murder, not hate.  We deal with hate through
preaching the truth, and through ministering Christ.  Hate can only be
eliminated through an inside transformation not through political means.