Perry wrote:
> Then, lets suppose that this same Christian lusts
> for a woman in his heart, or commits some other act
> that the scripture identifies as sin. Does that mean
> that this person was/is not really a Christian?

What do you mean by the word Christian?  Do you mean someone who follows
Christ, or do you mean someone who has membership in a Christian church?
If you mean someone who has joined a church and is part of the Christian
religion, then yes, he is still a Christian, but if you mean someone who
follows Christ, then the answer is no, he is not following Christ when
he sins because Jesus Christ does not sin.  A person who sins is
following the Devil, because the Devil sins.

Someone who is following Christ does not continue to sin because Christ
does not sin.  If he finds that he does sin, he is stepping out of
fellowship with Christ.  He needs to confess his sin, repent, be healed
and be restored to fellowship with Christ.  He has an advocate with God,
Jesus Christ, but he should not think that he is in fellowship with God
while he continues to sin.  Sin breaks off fellowship with God, and
everyone who has had fellowship with God and then sins knows this very
well in their spirit.  That's what the doctrine of repentance is all
about, forsaking sin that we might have fellowship with God.  If all
future sins were acceptable, or if all future sins were somehow
automatically "covered," then there would be no need to confess sin,
repent of sin, and no need for restoration.

This does not mean that a disciple of Christ who has fallen into sin is
eternally damned because of that one sin.  There is mercy and
forgiveness at the throne room of God.  We have to consider our election
and calling, and the idea of family.  God is greater than our hearts, so
while we experience a break in fellowship, he is active in restoring
that fellowship.  He treats us as children and chastises us, correcting
us, bringing us back into proper relationship with him.  So in that
sense, our status of being his child is not broken by a single sin.
Nevertheless, unless we repent, our sin will multiply (Jesus said that
whoever sins is a servant of sin), and our status as his child can be
broken, for so it is taught in the Torah (see Deut. 21:18-22).

Perry wrote:
> Is his eternal fate after he sinned, but
> before he confessed, different than his
> eternal fate had he died before he sinned?

No.  I don't believe that eternal fate is judged based upon a person
lusting with his eyes for a single moment in time.  What I do know is
that those called to eternal life can expect to have victory over all
such temptation.  Those who sin like this have a deeper problem,
something in their heart, that they have not surrendered to Jesus
Christ.  Most likely this was not their first and only sin.  They may
justify themselves all they like by comparing themselves to other
Christians that they know, but the only comparison they should be making
is how they compare to Jesus Christ.  If they are not like Jesus Christ,
then they are not abiding in the doctrine of Christ.  The Devil sins,
and those who sin are following the Devil.  Those who walk in
righteousness are following Christ and they are as righteous as Jesus
is.

Perry wrote:
> Again, lets suppose that we have one who has been
> a Christian for only 3 weeks, and commits a similar
> sin. Is this any different than a one who has been
> a Christian for 30 years and commits the same sin?

No.  Righteousness is something imparted to us from Christ, not
something we manufacture over 30 years of being a Christian.  In Christ,
I'm just as righteous now as I was 30 years ago, and if I were to sin,
it would have the same effect upon my life.  It would break my spiritual
fellowship with my father.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.