----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:03 PM
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] Spiritual death

 BT: Izzy, maybe you can help me out here, but it seems to me that your eyes would need to have been opened prior to this "born again" experience (that moment when you put your faith in Jesus Christ) or you never would have had the ability to even have the desire to be receptive to the things of God. Do you understand what I'm saying and can you help me out here?

Iz: Well, Bill, maybe it was kind of like when you married your wife.  First you fell in love.   And then you joined each other in matrimony.  The marriage part is like when you got born again and became one.  There was a precursor, but it wasn't consummated until you were one spirit so to speak.

I was alive when I fell in love with my future bride. And I make no bones about it. You, on the other hand, in order to be consistent, would have to argue that you were dead when you fell in love with your future husband. Hmmmm. I wonder what he saw in you :>)

 BT:  Paul tells us that Christ re-gathered all things (Eph 1.10) and that in him all things have their being or ontological There you go using one of those “nonbiblical” words, Bill. I had said something the other day in reference to our ontological status in Christ, to which you responded that you didn't understand what I was talking about. I used the term here to give that first statement some context. Yes, we sometimes use non-biblical terms to speak to biblical concepts. My gripe has never been that we do this. My gripe is with the hypocrisy of those who do the same but berate others when they do it.

Iz: I find that interesting, Bill, since this whole discussion got started because you objected to those of us who were using the term "spiritual" in front of death because you considered "spiritual" to be a nonbiblical term.  So, since then, I've been trying to point out that you, also, use "nonbiblical" terms all the time. Right?

You'd better check your records, Izzy. This whole thing started when I pointed out that Judy too had been treating a "doctrine of man" as authoritative, namely, Augustine's doctrine of spiritual death. I had been accused of "touting" Barth and Torrance, and I was simply pointing out that it was not just the "libs" who treat others authoritatively. In point of fact, I have never had a problem with using appropriately indicative language to speak about biblical concepts, even when that language is "non-biblical." Neither have I denied the influence of others in my spiritual development. In that same post I also wrote, "I have been very candid throughout about both my appreciation of Torrance and the influence he has had upon the formation of my beliefs -- which is indeed quite significant." The reason that this thread took off like it did was because Judy took offence that I had attributed her doctrine to Augustine, claiming instead that he was not the one who came up with "spiritual death"; that it "is right there in Genesis." Well, it is not right there in Genesis. It is not anywhere. On every ocassion it is an interpretation, just as when I read the same Scripture pertaining to language of death and interpret it in a different way. So you can keep on pointing out my use of non-biblical termonology if you like, but it won't make much of a splash on my end of the pool, 'cause I'm not the hypocrite on this one.

(? Am I looking at the ontological me in the mirror, or at Izzy’s decaying physical body? Do people get cosmetic surgery for ontological bodies?  Meanwhile my body gets a day older every day, and a day closer to the grave. But my spirit is renewed and growing every day.  That’s why I’ll be happy to trade in the old model of my body for a new/improved version!) Yeah, I hear you there. I do hope God doesn't want any brickin' done when I get to heaven though. And don't say he'll probably stick me in the furnace! :>) I laid brick in Minnesota one winter, replacing burned-out walls inside of taconite furnaces. If I stood in one place too long, my boots would start on fire. Too hot for me!!

Iz: I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere. :-)  So are you agreeing with me that our physical bodies really are dying,

Yes.

and you are speaking only metaphorically about our bodies being risen with Christ at the moment? Izzy

Well, if I understand what you are getting at, this would not be metaphorical. I am talking about your existence, your being, that which holds you together and sustains you, and makes you real and gives you life. You do not have the power of existence in or of yourself. You are totally dependent on another for that. Neither does anyone else have this power. All existence is in Christ Jesus. It is in him that the real you exists.

Bill