I don't think I used the work "glorified", did I? Or "idolized", even. I don't think Christians glorify or idolize it. I have never seen any Christians pray to it, although RCC do have it on a string of beads and they hold it when they pray. But, I do not think they are praying to the cross. Christians do not depict Christ on the cross because He is risen. The RCC depict him as crucified every day.

If you want references, just search the NT for "cross" and see how often it is used by the apostles and Jesus himself as a symbol.

Perry

From: Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Cross
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:44:56 -0800

*I would expect Satan to teach his people to shun the cross...it is the very instrument of his defeat.*

DAVEH: Really? As I see it, the cross was the most successful tool Satan could devise to torture and kill our beloved Lord. Everything else he tried failed....but, the cross did the job.

The /*resurrection */was the defeat of death....and Satan. Removing the guarded stone blocking the entrance, and rising from the tomb was the symbol of Satan's defeat, Perry. Perhaps you should consider hanging a millstone about your neck......

How do you see it that Jesus and the Apostles glorified the cross? Did they idolize it, and turn it into jewelery? Was it displayed on their edifices? Or are those examples simply Christian traditions that lay no claim to Biblical validity? Biblical references would be appreciated.

Charles Perry Locke wrote:

I hope you don't mind me intruding on your intrusion. *I would expect Satan to teach his people to shun the cross...it is the very instrument of his defeat.* Besides, Christ himself used the cross as a symbol, as did the Apostles. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. And, it is a frequent reminder of the tremendous sacrifice Jesus paid for our sins. I just do not think of that when I see a beehive.

Perry

*/What does the CROSS "REPRESENT"/*

DAVEH: I hope you don't mind me intruding on your discussion with Blaine, Kevin. This topic is of particular interest to me, as I've seen quite a few crosses at the sides of highways I travel. Quite often, they indicate places where people have died, or in the case of cemeteries.....where they are buried...........

..........In the past couple thousand years, many Christians have idolized the cross to depict the death of Jesus.........

.......which to me seems rather bizarre to me....if not macabre. Some Christians have taken to wearing jewelery, and displaying crosses in their abodes and places of worship.........

.........As I see it, those crosses depict the *cruel tool* used to bring not only much pain and suffering to our beloved Savior, but also the device that was used by God's enemies to kill our Lord. This inhumane instrument was designed not only to kill God's children, but at the same time to punitively torture them in a humiliating and degrading way. It always amazes me that some Christians would have such an affinity to such a devilish device that brings pain, suffering and death to the minds of many who see it, and especially to those who were victims of it.

I'm curious as to how you would feel about something similar, Kevin. I don't know if you have any children, but for the sake of this discussion let's assume you do. If your enemy were to maliciously use a knife to torture your daughter for a couple days to the point that the wounds killed her, would you be predisposed to wear a piece of jewelry on a chain around your neck in the form of a knife to remind you of what the guy did to your daughter? And, how would you feel if you drove by a gun & knife store, and saw a sign depicting knives that looked similar to the one that killed your daughter......Would it bring back fond memories?

LDS folks appreciate the dying sacrifice of our Lord in our behalf. But we don't glorify the tool that killed him. It sickens me to think of man's inhumanity that would bring such pain, suffering and death to one who did not deserve it. Nor do we idolize the cross as do so many others. Rather, we prefer to remember his sacrifice and glorify his Father---not the cross--- for the resurrection of his Son.

FWIW.....We have a large Christian church near us that a few years ago put 3 large prominent crosses on their building that are lit up at night with blue lights that are very noticeable to the cars passing by on the freeway........

http://www.rollinghills.org/about_us/campus/index.cfm

.........This picture really doesn't show them very well compared to the cars on the freeway, as it is taken from the wrong angle and at quite a distance. I have sometimes wondered if Jesus were to travel that road, what would he think if he were to pass such an edifice that memorializes his death in such a manner. I wouldn't be surprised if he would wince at such a sight. And......It bothers me to think that some would pain him in such a callous way.

Kevin Deegan wrote:

Exactly they bought into the counterfeit.
*How art thou _fallen from heaven_, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will _exalt my throne above the stars_ of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:...*
*Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.*
 *North Star*, which represents *Jesus Christ. *
 */
What does the CROSS "REPRESENT" Blaine?
 /*