jd

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yes you are.   That denomination did not come from the Portestant response to RCC theology.

DAVEH:  OK....help me out, Bishop.  I must be missing something.  WIKI......

Originally, "protestant" meant "to be a witness for something" rather than "to be against something", as the current popular interpretation of the word seems to imply. The prefix pro means "for" in Latin. The Latin adjective protestans refers to "a person who gives public testimony for something or who proves or demonstrates something"

........suggests the term Protestant can infer more than simply protesting the RCC, which is the common popular understanding.  WIKI further discusses the Protestant denominations.....

The largest division in many classific ation schemes is between the families of Eastern and West ern Christianity. After these two larger families come distinct branches of Christianity. Most classification schemes list six (in order of size: Catholicism, Protestantism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Anglicanism, Oriental Orthodoxy, and Assyrians). Others may include Restorationism as a seventh, but classically this is included among Protestant movements. After these branches comes denominational families. In some traditions, these families are precisely defined (such as the autocephalous churches in both Orthodox branches), in others, they may be loose ideological groups with overlap (this is especially the case in Protestantism, which includes Anabaptists, Adventists, Baptists, Congregationalists, Pentecostals, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Reformed churches, and possibly others, depending on who is organizing the scheme. From there come denominations, which in the West, have complete independence to establish doctrine (for instance, natio nal churches in the Anglican Communion or the Lutheran Ch urch-Missouri Synod in Lutheranism). At this point, the scheme becomes more difficult to apply to the Eastern churches and Catholic faiths, due to their top-down hierarchical structures. More precise units after denominations include kinds of regional councils and individual congregations and church bodies.
........and......

Unlike the other branches (Catholicism, Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy, the Assyrians, and Anglicans), Protestantism is a general movement that has no internal governing structure. As such, diverse groups such as Presbyterians, Reformed churches, Lutherans, Methodists, Congregationalists, Anabaptists, Baptists, Adventists, Pentecostals, and even possibly Restorationists (depending on one's classification scheme) are all a part of the same family.

........it seems that Pentecostals are loosely defined as a Protestant denomination.  I understood that 4Sq was a branch of Pentecostalism.  If bot h those assumptions are correct, then how/why do you beli eve you are not part of them?  Now I should say that I made the assumption that you are rooted in the 4Sq due to your discussion with DavidM.  Perhaps I'm wrong about that.  Please correct me if you do not ally yourself with the 4Sq folks.

I see "protestant" as clubhouse name for those who are apostate.   That is how I believe the term is used.   I have seen posts from Mormon to Mormon that gives me this opinion.

DAVEH:  I've never used that way..  Nor have I heard LDS folks discussing it in that sense.  I have always given the term respect, and have noted such by capitalizing it in all my posts.  (Note....Not all TTers have returned the courtesy.....I thank you for capitalizing Mormon, Pastor!)

    However.....I have noted that you do not seem to have the same respect for Protestant that you have afforded Mormon.  Below, you have said......

< B>I am not a protestant, in any event.

.... ....Is that simply a typo, or did you intend on denigrating Protestantism by not capitalizing it?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Yes you are.   That denomination did not come from the Portestant response to RCC theology.

I am not a protestant, in any event.   One of our daughters is RCC and full of faith.   My degree came from a Catholic University and I have a deeply felt consideation for the Catholic historian.   You should check out some of their websites.   Just punch in "Church fathers"  and you will find yourself in the midst of a number of Catholic sites dealing with the subject.

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
It is the perfect ad hom  .................  defensible and accusatory at the same time.

DAVEH:   LOL......You guys slay me.  If I had used the term, Liberal Protestants, you might have a reasonable chance of having a valid argument.   But to hear you guys recoil from being thought of as a Protestant is almost as silly as Democrats cringing at being labeled Liberal.      :-)

    Just what is it that you think I'm accusing Protestants as being that you don't like, Bishop?  I assume you are a Protestant, aren't you, John?  If I remember correctly, you are a 4Sq adherent, which as I understand it is a branch of Protestantism.&nb sp; Am I wrong in assuming such?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
If truth be told,  info from the hearing of flies on the wall would reveal that   "protestant" is a word used by the Mormon faithful as they speak with contempt of the opposing hordes.  The public use of the word is one thing  -- the private use is another.   It is the perfect ad hom  .................  defensible and accusatory at the same time.  Would you agree?

jd

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pastor, what do you think DaveH means by this word "Protestants"?