On Dec 1, 2009, at 7:22 PM, Jon Delfin wrote:

> I was wondering about what Kevin said about the VCR knowing a
> protected DVD shouldn't be copied. Isn't that because the DVD has a
> code included in its audio or video signal? So it's not that the VCR
> is reaching out to the DVD player, but that the DVD player is sending
> out a block?

It's because the video on the DVD is encoded in such a way that the DVD player
(and the TV) can handle the signal fine, but the VCR can't.

Copy-protection on prerecorded VHS tapes worked similarly:  the VCR could deal
with it upon playback, but it would "confuse" a VCR that's trying to record it.

Wikipedia is happy to explain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rovi_Corporation#Content_Protection

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>