On Friday, April 26, 2013 3:04:52 AM UTC-4, PGage wrote:

> A partially buried lead in this thread about Late Show this week is his
> "Stooge of the Night" segment (I have seen two shows this week, and am
> assuming he has been doing it all week). I assume he is being criticized
> for this, both by gun control opponents and those who think that network
> talk shows should be politically neutral, but I have been really impressed
> with it.

He *is* being criticized for it on right-wing websites and blogs. Google
"letterman stooge of the night" and you'll get hits from Breitbart.com, Fox
Nation, and something called survivalistboards.com (I assume the name tells
you all you need to know about that site).

I saw the segment on Tuesday, where he named a senator "Stooge of the
Night" for opposing the gun control bill. While I agree with Dave
politically on the issue, I wasn't crazy about it because, well, calling
someone a stooge isn't political satire. It was a lazy segment. There were
no jokes in the segment, just a proclamation that so-and-so is a stooge. I
just thought, "Wow, Stewart and Colbert would have done that SO much
better."

-Tim