On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I over-generalized with the word "owns". Your interpretation is correct.
> My core question is which of these three statements is the most accurate:
> A. There's one contract that covers Dave and WWP, and it runs through 2014.
> B. There are two contracts (one for Dave, one for WWP) that run
> concurrently (through 2014).
> C. There are two contracts (one for Dave, one for WWP) but they do not run
> concurrently (i.e., the contract with WWP runs later than Dave's).

Here is my stab at an answer; I don't have any one source to cite, but the
NYT article on the most recent contract extension (
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980DEFDC1E3FF937A35757C0A9649D8B63)
and the wikipedia article on Late Show have some clues. I stand ready to be
corrected by my betters.

I think your option A is the closest to being correct. It seems to me that
CBS contracts with WWP for a show. Dave works for WWP, and presumably has a
contract with them. Dave also happens to be the owner of WWP. This is what
makes most casual reports of his deal with CBS ambiguous - when the NYT
says that CBS has reached a deal with Dave to extend to 2014, it is not
clear if that deal is with Dave, owner of WWP, or Dave, performer on the
Late Show. But I think it is technically with the former.

If that is correct, then a further question would be, does the contract
with CBS and WWP require that Dave be the host of the show provided to CBS
by WWP? I think the answer to this question must be "yes".

So, if your real question is, can Dave decide to leave Late Show prior to
the expiration of the WWP contract, and then insert a different host into
Late Night and still have that fulfill the WWP contract? I think the answer
is probably "no".

I imagine that if Dave the performer wanted to stop hosting LN prior to the
end of the WWP contract with CBS, then Dave the owner of WWP would somehow
owe CBS money, and would also no longer have a deal to produce an 11:35
show for them. But I also presume that the relationship between CBS and
Dave is such that if Dave really wanted to stop they would come to am
amicable agreement - but one which would not necessarily give Dave, the
owner of WWP, any right to name the host of any new 11:35 show.

I am also assuming that, whenever Dave retires, by mutual agreement CBS and
WWP may want to continue the Late Night franchise, in which case they might
make a new deal to continue the show post-Dave the performer, and Dave the
owner of WWP would then no doubt have quite a bit of say in who would be
the second host of Late Night.