On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 9:22 AM Adam Bowie <a...@adambowie.co.uk> wrote:

> The interesting things is that these companies tend to be quite at good at
> keeping some things off their sites - notably porn. Sure they also end up
> banning Renaissance paintings, iconic photographs from the Vietnam war, and
> mothers feeding their babies. But the algorithms seem reasonably good at
> identifying bare skin.

So, I feel like this actually supports my side of the argument. When FB
censors classic art, historically important photographs and images of
breastfeeding mothers, I do feel like it is an unjustified limitation on
free speech. If they want to ban porn fine, but put in the effort to make
at least some distinction between that and the other important and
non-pornographic representations of human nudity. And since these are fuzzy
categories, be prepared to err on the side of allowing a little bit of porn
so we don’t lose important aspects of humanity.

Again, I do insist this is about free speech, though it if helps you can
read that as “culture of free speech” or “free speech values” if it helps
distinghiush it from the First Amendment. The US Constitution guarantees
speech free of government interference, but it does not have a monopoly on
the values and culture of free expression, which is a fundamental
characteristic of the American Idea. I know that is not true of our
European cousins (I once had a long conversation with a British colleague
who scolded me on the American insistence on making a fetish of free
expression, which I took as a huge compliment).

I actually have not read any serious source who argues that banning Jones
violates the First Amendment so I am not sure why we are hearing this being
disputed so much.

> --
Sent from Gmail Mobile