Free speech pretty much requires an audience. It’s not really free speech
if the only place you can say it is, say, in front of the Jehovah’s Witness
Hall. So Alex Jones can proselytize as much as he wants from his website,
but as Adam noted, “to a certain generation, access to YouTube or Facebook
is tantamount to how we communicate in 2018.” Video is probably Alex Jones’
most effective way to communicate. I followed him daily for about three or
four months about eight years ago and while he has crazy stuff written on
his website, his absolutely most batcrap crazy stuff comes from his videos.
YouTube has close to a monopoly on delivery of video, except for what Vimeo
and the porn sites. So getting kicked off YouTube and trying to deliver a
video message is almost like requiring someone build their own sidewalk to
talk to the public.
The classic defense of free speech is Milton's Areopagitica, which argues
that if truth and lies fight it out in public, truth will win. Sadly, Jones
has shown that is not true. How people believe, for instance, that a school
shooting was staged so someone could take away guns is incomprehensible.
But as with a lot of Trump supporters, facts don’t matter. Truth is not
winning in a public forum.