On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 7:01 PM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So,  want to expand a little on this, because it’s important (and probably
> because I am now in Day 4 of my third evacuation in 4 weeks, with a scary
> ass fire 2,5 miles from m front door).

First of all, sorry you’re having to endure that.

> Donald Trump is an evil, racist, misogynistic narcissistic conman. But he
> has been absolutely transparent. He is EXACTLY the president he told us he
> was going to be. Every horrible thing he has done, trivial and profound,
> from lying about the size of his inaugurations crowd to the monkey
> masturbation and shit throwing display he engaged in last night, is
> consistent with the version of himself he loudly and repeatedly presented
> himself to be from the minute he took that ridiculous ride down the
> escalator.
>
> Americans did not elect Trump die to some failure of aggressive, incisive
> investigative journalism in 2015-2016. Indeed, it is likely true that there
> has never been a US President that voters knew more clearly and fully what
> he was going to be like as a candidate than Trump. Sure, the NYT and MSNBC
> and CNN all gave him more oxygen than he deserved, but he did not need any
> of it. He is not president because Joe and Mika played foodies with him for
> 15 months. He is President because a critical mass (not a majority, but
> then, that is not required) of Americans wanted exactly the kind of
> President Donald Trump has been, a White Nationalist who fights to reclaim
> whit, male, heteronormative privilege and troll liberals who aspire for
> Obama and King’s Beloved Community.
>
> With all due respect, anyone who blames mediocre journalism for Trumpmis
> trying to let the country off the hook. We have exactly the President we
> wanted, and had the media done an even better job of telling us who he was,
> he would have earned even more votes.

You’re not wrong about any of that. Americans voted the bastard into office
(or at least the electoral college did). But I maintain the reason so many
did so is because the media sold more papers and got bigger ratings when
the focus was on the crazy TV personality instead of any of the other
candidates. Trump got more ink... they made him the front runner. It was
the same confluence of events that begat Governor “the body” in Minnesota
and Governor “Terminator” in California. All of their messages were nearly
identical: “The career politicians haven’t done anything for you, so vote
for me.” Serious journalists would challenge the premise, but eventually
they have way because it was more fun to watch politicians flailing about
trying to defend themselves. I could go on but there’s no need... it
happens on TV every damned day. “Coming up, we discuss the inflammatory
Trump Tweet of the day,” or “Here’s a panel discussion to discuss whether
the racist thing Trump said is racist.” Meanwhile “Sleepy Joe” isn’t
getting mentioned in the news because he refuses to be deliberately
provocative. So the lead story is always Trump.

Changing the subject back to last night’s goatf*ck, since I’d already
tortured myself watching it, today I compounded the torture by tuning into
the FoxNews audio stream on my Sirius app to get their perspective on the
debate. The network’s take on the debate was a textbook example of denial.
Nobody denied that Trump was wrong to be an interrupting asshole...
seriously, FoxNews pundits all agreed... but the reason they thought it was
wrong was markedly different. The FoxNews consensus was that if Biden had
been allowed to speak, he would have embarrassed himself, so because Trump
interrupted him, he was actually doing Biden a favor. So they weren’t mad
at the embarrassment Trump made of himself and the debate process; they
were mad Trump didn’t let Biden embarrass himself more.

The one thing Biden said during the debate that FoxNews thought was wrong
was when he refused to say whether he’d pack the Supreme Court if elected,
because he didn’t want his answer to be a big story. So instead of his
answer being a big story, his non-answer became their “gotcha” moment. “He
refused to say he wouldn’t do it, so he’s definitely going to do it.”

The other thing worth mentioning about FoxNews is that although it is
widely known that Biden is far from the fringe, radical leftist that a
Bernie Sanders or AOC might be, FoxNews is painting him as a candidate who
is beholden to the extreme left and would force an extreme left agenda if
elected. It’s an interesting (baseless) strategy, to imply a
moderate/centrist would unleash extreme legislation... time will tell if it
is working.