I'm liking Andrew's thoughts regarding sensitivity to what spam is,
and am thinking about the gmail like vote-if-spam approach.

Wondering if the api community (or really twitterers) would use an api
such as this:  smellsLikeSpam( list_of_tweet_ids )...  Twitter could
aggregate and apply policy to resulting votes.

If you're doing a twitter interface app, then you've got to provide
this unpleasant activity to users which they currentl don't have to do
now.  But gmail is an argument in favor of it working well and not
being too onerous on users in the aggregate.

I think the problem in general is more dire for search-based
functionality than for general tweeting, since search picks up not
only (somewhat) older tweets but new ones and potentially in very
large quantities.  So if I pick up a tweets yesterday and today it
becomes spam, I'll want to know about that and be ale to toss the
tweet (god what phrase), which has implications for apps such as mine
and for twitter too...

.