> Some users aren't comfortable giving their Twitter password to another
> website.  For them, it's sort of a good thing to be sent to Twitter's
I would hazard a guess that they really are the long tail. Only a
small percentage of people would care, most would not but they are
going to be penalized with a more complicated system ... seems a bit
backward to me.

One possibility is for your application (which is what I will do in
twitcher) to offer both methods. Then both sets of users are covered,
most people can get in quickly and easily by entering name and
password; but those that are more careful/concerened can go the more
complicated oauth route.

Problem is, twitter are going to shut off Basic Auth at some point
which is a big mistake IMHO, but hey ho.