On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Dewald Pretorius <dpr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm being daft, but how can someone following you be "spam" or
> "wrong", regardless of whether it is manual or auto follow?

It can be spam if you had your account sent to auto-notify your phone or
inbox when someone follows you. 1 spam follower won't make a dent, but if
one spam follower is allowed to 'live' more will follow, and thats when it
gets fun.

Take into account the fact that many twitter had to reach deals with phone
companies for their bulk texts. If they see a substantial increase in texts
sent out as result of this, they may have to renegotiate. Re-negotiations
waste time :)