Thanks for your questions. Responses inline...

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM, jim.renkel<james.ren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have both practical and philosophical concerns and questions with
> this proposal. Since I'm a little late in commenting on this, some of
> these have already been raised. Where I know that is the case, I'll
> keep it short, but include it to show my support (or not) of the
> issue.
>
> This post contains practical issues. A companion post will contain
> philosophical issues.
>
> 1. When a retweet is created it is assigned an ID number, just like a
> status update. Are retweets and status updates numbered from the same
> sequence of numbers, or separate ones? I mainly ask out of curiosity,
> but there are some implications as shown below.

Tweets and retweets are currently numbered from the same sequence of numbers.

> 2. Is there a limit on the number of times a status update can be
> retweeted? Again, curiosity, but with implications.

No.

> 3. In the UI, if a status update is shown that has been retweeted, are
> all retweeters of the update listed, or, e.g., just ones that I
> follow? If all retweeters are listed, what if the status update was
> retweeted, say, 1,000 times? 10,000 times? If just retweeters that I
> follow are listed, can I somehow see a list of all the retweeters?

The UI concern of indicating who has retweeted has been addressed,
though it isn't displayed in the sample screenshot. It is collapsed
into a count of the total number of retweets with a summary after a
certain threshold.

> 4. The response to the status/retweet method provides details about
> the retweet that was created. Does it also include details on previous
> retweets of the status update?

No.

> 5. In the response to the statuses/home_timeline, statuses/
> retweeted_by_me, statuses/retweeted_to_me, and statuses/retweets_of_me
> methods, how are multiple retweets of the same status update encoded?
> I far as I could see, none of the examples addressed this. Is the
> status update repeated once per retweet? Or are multiple retweets
> listed under one instance of the status update that was retweeted? In
> the latter case, the response would presumably look like:
>    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>        <statuses>
>            <status>
>                <user>
>                    </user>
>                <retweet_details>
>                    ... [details of 1st retweet]
>                    </retweet_details>
>                <retweet_details>
>                    ... [details of 2nd retweet]
>                    </retweet_details>
>                </status>
>            </statuses>
> I could be wrong, but I don't think this is valid XML. I think ya need
> to have another level of grouping, as in:
>    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>        <statuses>
>            <status>
>                <user>
>                    </user>
>                <retweets>
>                    <retweet_details>
>                        ... [details of 1st retweet]
>                        </retweet_details>
>                    <retweet_details>
>                        ... [details of 2nd retweet]
>                        </retweet_details>
>                </retweets>
>            </status>
>        </statuses>

"Is the status update repeated once per retweet?" Yes.

> 6. Each XML retweet_details "section" takes around 100-200 characters
> to encode. If a response that includes retweet_details only returns
> retweets for those I follow, if I have 20 retweeted status updates
> each with, say, 20 retweets, that's 20*20*100=40000 plus characters
> required for the response. Even if the response only includes 1
> retweeted status update, but it has been retweeted 10,000 times (Not
> unheard of! And IMHO it's more likely to happen once this is deployed
> and folk start writing "retweebots"), that's 1*10000*100=1000000 plus
> characters. I think there's a problem here that needs to be addressed.

Here you are trading off payload size with number of network calls.
Rather than exposing IDs pointing to the author of the retweet and the
tweet that is retweeted, we've opted to include the data inline. More
pathological scenarios involving retweetbots are mitigated with a
combination of measures outside the purview of the platform team.

> 7. If retweets and status updates are numbered from the same sequence
> of IDs, then presumably statuses/destroy can be used to delete a
> retweet. If retweets and status updates have separate ID sequences,
> then I don't see any way to delete a retweet. I think the ability to
> delete a retweet is essential! BTW, I don't see any delete capability
> in the proposed UI.

In the absence of an obvious use case for including the retweet's id,
we were omitting it. Deleting the retweet via the API is a very
reasonable use case. Thanks. We'll add a 'retweet_id' to the
retweet_details section.

> 8. If a protected user retweets a status update of a non-protected
> user, will the protected user always / sometimes / never be listed as
> a retweeter of the public user's status update?
>
> 9. Conversely, if a non-protected user retweets a status update of a
> protected user, will the protected status update always / sometimes /
> never be included in the various timelines of the non-protected user?

Security/visibility concerns are the same as with any status update.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team