I also am not on fire about this API... Since our app, www.tweettronics.com,
tracks user's twitter activities, I think that while retweeting has been
popular it's mainly been a tool for spammage as part of user's desire for
self-promotion and less as a tool for user attibution.  Still the users have
taken it up... it's just that what I'm seeing is that it's primiarily used
to generate tweets and thus attention to one's account...
On the other hand, it at least formalizes what is going on, making it easier
to track retweeting behavior, to the extent that such tracking has any
fundamental value as far as estimating user influence, given the signal to
noise ratio that is going on....
I do think that this API can help solve other issues, such as the challenge
of having threaded tweets.  Is support of threaded tweets an intended effect
of the api?

jeffrey greenberg
http://www.tweettronics.com
http://www.jeffrey-greenberg.com