On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM, John Kalucki <jkalu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Openness about abuse is generally counter-productive for everyone.

I don't think it is quite fair to make that statement without also
acknowledging that *transparency* frequently is productive for everyone,
particularly in new media.

This is a trade-off  - between people's freedom to use Twitter as they wish
and privacy from spammers and such - and I'm willing to trust that Twitter
treats it as such internally.  But that that won't stop me from nudging
occasionally.

Meanwhile, the hidden rules remind me of Animal House:

*Greg Marmalard <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0202318/>: But Delta's already
on probation.
Dean Vernon Wormer <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006893/>: They are? Well, as
of this moment, they're on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION! *

David Brin wrote a fine book about this, "The Transparent Society: Will
Technology Force Us to Choose Between Freedom and Privacy?"  (
http://www.amazon.com/Transparent-Society-Technology-Between-Privacy/dp/0738201448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255126636&sr=8-1).

I suppose that to be transparent I should add a disclaimer that I helped him
with the book and I'm quoted in it.

Nick