John,

With reference to "used for invalid purposes" in your post.

That begs the question, what exactly constitute invalid purposes?

>From a Twitter purist's point of view, anything other than "What are
you doing?" constitutes an invalid purpose.

I'd venture to say that very few people use Twitter for "What are you
doing?" No way do I want to or need to tell a few thousand strangers
(and have it indexed by Google) where I am right now, what I am doing
right now, or what I am having for lunch. Facebook is a far better
platform for that, where one has privacy and a hand-picked audience
who just might care.

Twitter created a platform that is ideally suited for the marketers
and mega-phones. Why else would people actually spend money to buy
followers, and get involved in all kinds of schemes to acquire more
followers? Because the way your platform works enables and encourages
that type of purpose.

When you find yourself spending many frustrating hours of fighting
"invalid use," you are in effect fighting the animal that Twitter
created. One cannot be angry with users when they use the service in
unforeseen ways, especially when the service enables that type of use.

The easiest way to fight invalid use is to change Twitter so that only
"valid use" is possible. When Facebook realized that they were
enabling the mega-phone type, they quickly changed their system to
discourage that use by limiting the number of friends one can have.

You either have to do that, or you have to expand your definition of
valid use, and rejoice in the success it brings you when people use
your service in unexpected and unanticipated ways.

By having a flexible platform that encourages many purposes and trying
to limit those purposes only to what you deem valid, you are forever
going to fight a losing battle. And, you are laying down rich soil for
the competition to germinate.

If every who does not stick to "What are you doing?" abandoned Twitter
today, you will be back to where you were in your early days in terms
of size and relevance.

Dewald