One more thought about this.

Audience (followers) is to Twitter what PageRank is to Google. Twitter
created a commodity when it enabled the unlimited follower capability.

As long as it is a commodity, money-motivated people will continue to
exploit it as a commodity, just like they exploit Google's PageRank.

The entire SEO industry is centered around ranking high in SE's, with
Google's PageRank being one of the most coveted commodities.

You can expect to see an entire industry forming around gaining
Twitter followers. And very clever people will continuously try to
outsmart you to circumvent any counter-measures that you try to
implement.

The only way to win that battle is to make followers a non-commodity.

Dewald