Frankly, I sort of hope that Twitter DOESN'T further define their
nebulous rules.  Why?  Because when they do, the axe often falls on
legitimate app developers (rather than abusive users or problem apps)
in really short-sighted ways.  Moreover, their rules are usually
blanket pronouncements without regard for important business cases for
certain features.

For example, Twitter used to say that follower "churn" was against
their rules.  Okay, that's certainly fair and fine.  But now they've
recently changed their rules page (in mid-November, to be exact) to
outright ban ALL automated following, except -- bizarrely -- follow-
back.

This is really silly.  It kills an entire functionality space for all
apps simply because some uses of it are abusive.

For example, auto-follow is a hallmark feature of Google Buzz.  It was
loudly included in all press mentions of this product.  Namely, in
that app, you auto-follow anyone you frequently email with.  (Google
has apparently curtailed this feature due to privacy concerns.)  So
what about a similar Twitter app that offers this perfectly reasonable
feature -- namely, auto-follow anyone that you @tweet more than, say,
10 times.  Will that be banned?  Apparently.  (And there goes the
whole CRM market with it!)  Or what about an app that unfollows anyone
who tweets spam or swear words?  Nope, such an app is apparently
outlawed.

Twitter should err on the side of allowing developers the freedom to
build great apps.  This should mean hand-holding even the smallest app
(not just the biggies).  But, more than that, it should mean offering
flexibility and good faith when it comes to deciding what's an
appropriate use of the Twitter API.  Blanket, mid-stream, and
developer-focused restrictions are non-constructive, unfair, and will
stifle innovation.

Many of us support our families with Twitter development; and it is
cavalier and bruising to know that developers are apparently not
offered at least some level of back-and-forth communication, good
faith, and case-by-case leeway when their apps are examined in
relation to Twitter rules.