A user has essentially an infinite amount of time to delete a tweet he has sent. The sequence of events is

a. User sends a tweet.
b. Twitter forwards it to Streaming and inserts it into the Search indexing queue if the user is not blocked. c. User says at some point later, "Oh crap - did I really say that?" and deletes the tweet. d. Twitter deletes the tweet from Search and its other public-facing facilities, and sends a "delete" message with the deleted tweet's user and status IDs out to the *unfiltered* Streaming connections. I'm assuming it knows enough not to send all the "firehose" deletes to lower-frequency streams - it's none of "sample"'s business what tweets got deleted from "firehose" or "gardenhose". ;-)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdos

Quoting Abraham Williams <4bra...@gmail.com>:

Couldn't you add a cleaning process to statuses just before they are sent to
clients but after they have been filtered into streams? The cleaning process
could pick up delete flags and remove extraneous metadata from the status.

Abraham