Hi,

I’m Jaanus. My day job has nothing to do with Twitter, but a few
months back, I started looking into Twitter and iPhone more closely
out of personal interest as a hobby project. I wrote down how OAuth
works [1] and made a simple Objective-C implementation [2].

Just now, I released a new iPhone Twitter app, Crème. It just hit the
App Store, get it from http://cremeapp.com. As far as I’m aware, it’s
one of the first general-purpose Twitter clients on the App Store that
uses OAuth for authentication, I haven’t come across others. I use my
own PlainOAuth. I think this app breaks some new ground in terms of
how to interact with Twitter, I’d be interested in all the feedback.

One thing that nobody seems to talk about is read/unread management,
which I think about a lot. I’m not sure that it belongs in the API,
perhaps at this stage it is better left to clients, but I think all
the current clients and also the twitter.com site do a terrible job at
it, so I propose a better way with Crème. This is still local to one
device, but I do believe that there is potential in syncing reads/
unreads across devices. Until Twitter puts it in their API (if ever),
I'll probably be forced to do my own solution. Looking forward to
OAuth Echo to do the authentication part of it (e.g if I maintain my
own "unread server," I'd use OAuth Echo to make sure the reads/unreads
of different users are separated and everyone only sees their own.)

Twitter API was straightforward to work with, don’t really have any
major gripes. There’s a bunch of inconstencies (e.g I can get my own
mentions, but not others’), and one thing that is not advertised well
is the HTML encoding/decoding (a bunch of fields are HTML-encoded and
you need to remember to decode them on client side before
displaying... I think this applies only to JSON, which I’m also
using).

My only “holy crap” moment with Twitter API was when I came across the
"REST and search user IDs are different" bug (http://code.google.com/p/
twitter-api/issues/detail?id=214). That this has not been fixed after
all this time, leaves an amateur and shenaniganish taste of the whole
Twitter API operation. Fixing it does not get easier with time as
increasingly more data is generated, you know... but, on the client
side I do not need to do global matching for any users, I could work
around it by simply using screen names throughout the app, so for my
particular case it was not a showstopper, but it leaves a bad taste.

One other thing I didn't find much info about is how Twitter works
with profile images. As users upload them, multiple versions are
generated, and you have to truncate and replace parts of filename to
get the different versions, but I came across it as hearsay, I don't
think it's documented.

So, check out cremeapp.com :)

[1] http://www.jaanuskase.com/en/2010/01/understanding_the_guts_of_twit.html
[2] http://www.jaanuskase.com/en/2010/01/an_example_iphone_twitter_app.html