I'll follow Quy's lead.  I have been providing social media training /
support to companies for the last year, earlier this year I identified a
number of services/features that desktop clients should have, and have today
successfully used my client, developed in C++ with QTwitlib, to read from
and post to Twitter. After some further development, the client will be
released (Windows only till someone provides me Mac & Linux machines) as
open-source.
I've been following the discussion here for a couple of weeks, it has helped
me understand the API better.
Cheers all, Nigel.