Hi Mark, thanks for your response but I think you may be mistaken.

In the first call, I do send 36 bytes I state prior to sending -
"status=ALAhM%3A+Test_Unit+t1%3A35tej"
In the second call, I do send the 35 bytes I state prior to sending -
"status=ALAhM%3A+Test_Unit+t1%3A35te"

Additionally, I am 100% sure there are no spaces at the end / other
chars that are hidden.

I am dealing with the raw socket and to rule out any software mishap I
have been testing manually using hyperterminal (winsock) to diagnose
the problem.

I'm at a dead end on this until somebody can figure out what I am
doing wrong / if there is genuinely a problem elsewhere. Thanks again