Now that I'm clear...

1) It works for me using telnet.  This may or may not be subtly different
from hyperterminal.
2) Note that if you do this repeatedly with the same status text you'll get
rejections due to duplicate tweets.  On twitter.com this returns a 200 with
no response body.  You shouldn't be using this endpoint anyway, please use
api.twitter.com instead.

  ---Mark

http://twitter.com/mccv