Hi again Mark. I have just used realterm to connect instead of
hyperterminal (shows every char including hidden ones) and I have had
success with my first example, however I am still struggling to get
the full example working (I had tried to simplify to a working/non-
working example as much as possible). Could you give this a quick try
please?

POST http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json HTTP/1.1
Host: twitter.com
Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Connection: Close

status=ALARM%3A+Test_Unit+t1%3A+35litres+2425+C

If you have success, could you let me know exactly how you have tested
this (software etc) so I can duplicate it?

I really appreciate your help and advice on this - It's one of the
final sticking problems of this project.

Many thanks