I tested this by

1) Replacing the basic auth header with my own
2) Opening a connection via telnet on OS X

  telnet twitter.com 80

3) Pasting in the sample
4) Looking at the response

And it works for me.  Note that if I do it a second time I get a 200 and an
empty response, as you're going to twitter.com instead of api.twitter.com.

  ---Mark

http://twitter.com/mccv