As someone who's developing some applications right now specifically
involving the search APIs I now have to worry about whether or not I
should pre-emptively include the result_type parameter so my app
doesn't become non-functioning when the changes are pushed to the
site. Why do the popular tweets have to be the default behavior in the
API?