On 03/26/2010 01:41 PM, Taylor Singletary wrote:
> Hi Developers,

[snip]

> For the majority of applications we think this scheme switch will be a
> non-event. Before implementing these changes, we'd like to know if your
> applications currently depend on the sequential nature of IDs. Do you depend
> on the density of the tweet sequence being constant?  Are you trying to
> analyze the IDs as anything other than opaque, ordered identifiers? Aside
> for guaranteed sequential tweet ID ordering, what APIs can we provide you to
> accomplish your goals?

I'm a mathematician. So yes, I *am* trying to analyze the IDs as other
than identifiers. ;-) As long as the status ID generation algorithm is
documented - how many bits are timestamp, how many bits are random, what
the granularity of the timestamp is, how the Spritzer and Gardenhose
sampling is done, etc. - I can do what I want to do without any API
additions.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky