So, I guess for the since_id issue, it boils down to this question:

Regarding the since_id parameter, when you (Twitter) flip the switch
on the new ID format, will I (as a developer) have to change any of my
code in order for it to function the way it does now? This question
applies equally for both the Twitter API and the Search API.

Check One:

[ ] YES
[ ] NO

Taylor's previous response alluded to "no" (a good thing), but I
wasn't 100% assured.

-Chad