My Desktop Client is also depending on since_id right now in order to
display the user all new tweets since he logged out. Also without
since_id and max_id it's not really possible to implemente a "more"
link at the bottom.

Personally, for my needs it would be enough if since_id and max_id
would be replaced with since_date and max_date, as that wouldn't
affect my application since I'm not relying on the tweet ids but only
need to retrieve tweets in a specific timespan.

But one thing for sure, there needs to be a replacement.