On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Nigel Legg <nigel.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Surely all twitter developers are getting their success on the coattails of
> Twitter, rather than twitter getting success on the coattails of the
> developers?

This is a good point (is applies in my case, anyway). Had it not been
for my hobby-ist desire to hack around on the Twitter API, I would not
have a lot of the relationships I have today (whether it be with users
and new friends in my local town or across the internet with other
developers). By fostering those connections over the last few years I
have been able to do things I would not have otherwise been able to
do, and I would probably still be a cube-monkey instead of a founder
of my own company (which is also a platform, so I'm taking notes).

So, there are other benefits to playing in this sandbox other than to
strike it rich with a Twitter app or become internet famous. Other
opportunities arise from relationships you create with this diverse
developer world.

Of course, being acquired by Twitter doesn't hurt your resume, either.

-Chad